My favourite resource for learning Japanese is the YouTube channel 日本語の森nihongo no mori). It is a highly accessible and fun resource which features videos explaining grammar, kanji and vocabulary at all levels. The majority of videos are mostly organised by JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) level. The majority of videos do not feature English but I think this is a fantastic way to create a more immersive experience for intermediate level learners and helps to get into the habit of thinking in Japanese.
Here are some playlists I have selected which I think are some of the highlights of the channel at each level.
- Basic Japanese Lessons – A great intro to Japanese covering the basic characters, grammar and essential phrases.
- Learn Basic Japanese Grammar 1 – Covers fundamental Japanese grammar in English, making it perfect for beginners to get to grips with the construction of basic sentences.
- Anime Japanese – For the anime lovers out there, you can learn some basic phrases with this playlist as you take your first steps into Japanese.
- JLPT N3 ことば – Plenty of vocabulary and memorable example phrases for JLPT N3.
- JLPT N3 Grammar – This playlist saved me when studying grammar for JLPT N3. Explained in a very easy to understand manner and quite comprehensive.
- オノマトペ (擬態語・擬声語) Japanese onomatopoeia – I have always found Japanese onomatopoeia very tricky but this playlist is a godsend for these pesky little peculiarities that make Japanese so unique!
- ちょっとあぶない日本語 – I haven’t yet made my way through all of this playlist but I have enjoyed the few I have seen. An exploration of the more dangerous side of Japanese! Great for making more sense of the rough Japanese in movies and drama.
Explore the Channel
What I have listed here is by no means exhaustive! No matter your level, definitely take a look around the channel and see if you find something you like. Happy watching! がんばってね！